NOTICE OF 2020 AGM & CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Sunday September 20, 2020NOTICE OF THE 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING TO ALL MEMBERS OF JACK’S LAKE ASSOCIATION
When: October 8, 2020
Time: 7:00 – 8:30 pm
Location: Online via Zoom
(instructions will be sent the day before the meeting)
You are invited to the 2020 Annual Meeting of the Jack’s Lake Association to be held on Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 7:00–8:30pm.
As a result of the Covid 19 pandemic and the extraordinary times we are living through, this year’s AGM will be quite different. It will be held online through Zoom.
Unfortunately, we are only able to have a minimal Agenda this year without the special speakers and presentations that are customarily presented at JLA’s AGMs. Instead, the Agenda will include those topics that we are legally required to address. They are:
- Approve Agenda
- Approve the 2019 AGM Minutes
- President’s Message
- Financial Statements & Approval of 2021 Budget
- Quarry Update
- Ratification of Directors (nominated & elected by the Board during 2020)
- Election of 5 Nominee Director Candidates
- FOCA Presentation
Additional AGM materials will be sent to you shortly. They will include specific information on voting and a list of Motions that will be raised during the AGM, any documents that will be referred to during the AGM, and information concerning the Zoom conferencing service.
We look forward to your participation in the 2020 Annual General Meeting.
Jack’s Lake Association, Board of Directors
JACK’S LAKE ASSOCIATION (JLA) NOMINATING COMMITTEE - CALL FOR NOMINATIONS 2020/2021
Are you interested in:
- the conservation and stewardship of our lake and surrounding environment?
- connecting with other Lakers?
- ensuring that the quality of the lake’s water is free from invasive species and other contaminants?
- organizing & directing lake activities and events?
- preserving the natural beauty of our surrounding forests, wetlands and shorelines?
- advocating for greater environmental awareness through traditional and new social media?
- writing/editorial work for our bi-annual publication, Smoke Signals, and other JLA publications?
If so, we’d like to encourage you to apply for either a Board or a Committee position with the JLA by submitting your application (as attached).
The JLA Board has formed a Nominating Committee (consisting of Marcine DuBois, Mike Jensen, Charlie Coffey, Jonathan Mitchell, and Alexandra Kostiw) to oversee the nominating process and vetting of candidates proposed to serve on Jack’s Lake Association Board and its representative Committees.
We are accepting Nominations until September 28, 2020 5:00 pm EST for Board elections to be held at the virtual AGM on October 8, 2020 at 7:00 pm EST.
We hope to continue to build the JLA by attracting Lakers, new and old, to serve on the Board as well as a variety of important JLA Committees.
Board of Directors Positions
There are currently 5 open Director (3 year term) positions that, when filled, would bring the JLA Board to the nominal number of 12 per our Bylaws. The Directors of the new Board will elect the Executive (President, VP, Treasurer and Secretary).
We are undergoing a transition and would be very interested in recruiting Lakers who have a range of professional or volunteer backgrounds including communication technology, corporate secretary/record keeping experience, writing/editing skills, knowledge & understanding of environmental issues and advocacy experience.
Committee Member Positions
The following Committees require some reinforcement. Some are in full swing and others are in the process of being set up.
If you have an interest and/or experience in any of these Committee subject areas, we would love to hear from you. Being a Committee Member serves as an ideal stepping-stone to being a Board member. The Board appoints all Committee positions.
- Water Quality Committee (Invasive Species/Boat Wash Project)
- Environment Committee (Logging, Quarries, etc.)
- Activities & Events Committee (Regatta, Fishing Derby, etc.)
- Lake Conservation Awareness Committee
- Internet Access Advocacy Committee
- Smoke Signals Editorial Committee
We are looking for Lakers with:
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to the stewardship of Jack Lake and its surrounding natural environment;
- Preferred (but not essential) experience serving on a non-profit board or association and/or community leadership & involvement;
- Complementary skill set commensurate with the specific post being sought (eg) Director of Environment, Treasurer, Smoke Signals Editorial or Advertising work);
- Diversity of background and experience;
- Willingness and ability to devote sufficient time to the affairs of JLA and to diligently fulfill the responsibilities of a Director/Committee member (translation: we need people who are happy to role up their sleeves and do some heavy lifting!);
- High integrity, inquiring minds, willingness to ask hard questions and ability to work well with others;
- No conflict of interest that would violate any applicable law or regulation or interfere with the proper performance of the responsibilities of the post;
- The capacity and desire to represent the best interests of the members and JLA as a whole
Please fill out and submit the attached Nomination Form, in your choice of format: Word, PDF, or TXT.
If you have any questions about nominations, please contact Jonathan Mitchell (email@example.com) or Alexandra Kostiw (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you!
JLA Nominating Committee