77th Annual JLA Regatta
Tuesday June 14, 2022
The Regatta is back!!!
After all the challenges we’ve had to deal with recently the Regatta will be a welcome FUN community event. Please join us to make the 2022 Regatta the most successful ever. Let’s celebrate together our resilience, our community spirit, our friendships and our heritage.
The annual Regatta hasn’t been ‘annual’ since 2019 and so we’re pretty excited to bring back this very popular family event! Please mark your calendars for the long weekend of July 30th - 31st.
The Sailing Race will kick off the weekend events on Saturday July 30 followed by the Boat Parade. We are honoured to be officially introducing The Anna Sweeney Decorated Boat Parade in recognition of the many years that the late Anna Sweeney "ran” this beloved community event.
To help make the Regatta a successful happening time for all please consider volunteering!
Students needing community service hours welcome!
Families are welcome to take on an entire event/activity!
Check out this list of where we still need volunteers and please let us know if you can help out:
- Events Photographers … you don’t have to be a pro! … we need a few enthusiastic people to take photos of the weekend events for publication in Smoke Signals … quality cell phone cameras will do
- Sailboat and Windsurfer Races … we need a Committee Boat, a Race Commissioner and volunteers to mark the course with buoys - Saturday morningThe Anna Sweeney Decorated Boat Parade … we need a lead/registration boat - Saturday afternoon
- Fun Run 5K Race and Iron Man Try-Athalon and Kids’ Run 1.5 km Race… we need a few volunteers to coordinate these events and monitor and report the results to the medal announcers - approx. 2 hours early Sunday morning
- Distance Swim … we need Officials - approx. 1 hour early Sunday morning
- Buoy Coordinators … we need someone or a few volunteers with a small boat to coordinate the placement and removal of buoys in the lake for all water events requiring markers
- Three-Legged Race … we need a few volunteers to coordinate this event and monitor and report results to the medal announcers - approx. 2 hours Sunday afternoon
- Egg Toss … we need a few volunteers to coordinate this event and monitor and report results to the medal announcers - approx. 2 hours late Sunday afternoon
- Medal Announcers and Presenters … your chance to announce the winners or hand out the medals! Choose the event you prefer - approx. 15 minutes per event
- Bake Sale … calling all bakers! Can you bake and donate a cake, pie, cookies, muffins, squares, any tasty goodies?! … we will also need volunteers to ‘man’ the stand for 1-2 hours each all day Sunday – please contact Bake Sale Coordinator Gwen Burnatowski at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 416 917 3290 (thanks Gwen!)
- Book Sale… we need a few volunteers to help with the gathering of gently used books and ‘man’ the stand for 1-2 hours each Sunday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. – to donate items and/or to offer your help please contact Book Sale Coordinator Dawn Tower Dubois at: email@example.com or 705-656-9035 (thanks Dawn!)
Book Sale Donation Guidelines:
Gently used in good condition only please! Clean, intact hardcover and paperback books—we are unable to accept books damaged by moisture, mildew, or smoking. Please leave book jackets on if available. CD and DVD (music and audiobooks) We are not accepting: Encyclopedias, magazines, maps, cassettes, TIME Life Series, VHS, library or garage sale discards.
To offer your Regatta help, please contact Jonathan Mitchell, JLA Events Director, by June 25th at:
Please use Subject Heading: Regatta Volunteer. We look forward to Regatta Weekend!
As the saying goes, the show must go on! Regatta fun will help us all put the storm where it belongs…behind us!
See you there*!
*details of registration and full schedule of events to follow